Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn

Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn (Recommended by Jacquin)

This book was really an awesome read. The message of this book is basically that we are doing it all wrong - and have been for what our culture considers "the beginning of time". Throughout many parts of this book I found myself thinking "wow, yeah... but so what? how can we change?" And that was even addressed at the end of the book.

One thing that surprised me was that at no time did this book make me cry. There are a few emotional parts in it and I didn't even bat an eye! This is completely out of character for me - I mean, I cry at cotton commercials for goodness sake! I think one of the reasons I didn't cry is because this book is heavily intellectual. I found myself not being able to read this before bed just because my brain could not properly process the information. This book makes you THINK (omg, ohones).

There are 2 books that are semi-sequels to this novel, and I'm definitely going to be adding them to my reading list. Daniel Quinn's writing style is unique in that he is able to portray mundane aspects of life one minute, and then explain complex concepts the next. I'm not sure if these two different things flow well when he writes them, but it definitely begins to show some serious juxtaposition - thus illustrating the entire point of the book.

I feel like delving into the plot at all is just a complete spoiler, so go read it for yourself!

No comments: