Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Velvet Elvis

I recently finished reading Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell.
My sister lent me the book over a year ago and started asking what happened to it, so I thought I'd better read it before I returned it! I really enjoyed this book. I loved the way that Bell addressed faith through examples of everyday life. The first chapters did this really well and helped me to really get into the book.
My favorite part about the book is the way that Bell addresses how things were in Jesus' day. Why he used the phrases he did, why he spoke in parables, and why things were the way they were are all addressed. We need to be reminded that Jesus was a Jew and that really colored a lot of what he did and how he rose to fame.
Bell addressed a lot of questions that I have had about biblical passages. Why did they phrase it that way? Why didn't they just come out and say it? I came away from this book with a much greater understanding of what was going on at the time and what the Holy Book is really saying.

I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in understanding Christianity a little better.

No comments: