Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Johnny Tremain

I remember Johnny Tremain by Ester Forbes being talked about in school, but I know that I never read it.  Sometimes our teacher would have us pick one of three books and then we would study that book in groups.  I think Johnny Tremain was one of the books that I didn't not have a chance to choose.  It was only rather recently in my reading career that I became interested in historical fiction, though.

The story of Johnny Tremain is definitely one of historical fiction.  Forbes makes Boston of the late 1700's come alive on the page.  This book definitely made me check the dictionary a few times as it tends towards language of the day. I also ended up doing some research about the Revolutionary War to help me remember why the historical characters were so important.  It was great to have Johnny brushing elbows with Paul Revere himself!

No comments: