Saturday, July 26, 2008

Pure Drivel

I was excited to read Pure Drivel, by Steve Martin. I've read at least one other of his books and really enjoyed it. I was looking forward to a similar experience.

Unfortunately, I was met by a small collection of short stories that just barely could be referred to as drivel. I read through many of the stories without smiling or laughing or even a little chortle. Nothing. Usually the thought on my mind was "is this going to be funny soon?" Then I had a feeling it was some how my fault. Was it bad to read this right after reading a Dave Barry masterpiece? Should I not have had such high expectations? The short stories were 2-5 pages long. At the end of each of them, I thought, "Well, maybe the next one will be good." Sadly, no.


I can not recommend this book. But if you want to get a taste of Steve Martin's humor without the suffering and wondering when it will be funny, you might try reading The Pleasure of My Company, which I can say is very amusing and at times laugh-out-loud funny.

No comments: