Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

I picked up The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, by Ann Brashares (a name that I had to look up to find the book in the stacks!)
at the library on Thursday. I have this big stack of serious books (Angela's Ashes, Johnny Tremain and others) that I am supposed to read next, but I can't bring myself to do it. Summer is a time for reading fun books! And this is definitely one of those fun books. I kind of wish I hadn't seen the movie first because it did spoil some things. There was less questioning what would happen next or how would things turn out, but instead wondering what had been cut from the movie and how would they reach their final destinations.

Of the four girls' story lines, Lena's was the most bastardized in the movie. Her story line in the book is very drawn out and involves a lot of introspection (which very much suits her character), however, I see why they changed it to make the story come alive better on screen.

The story lines of Carmen, Bridgette, and Tibby were not changed for the movie, however, a lot of details were left out. I think I will appreciate the movie more the next time I watch it now that I have read the book.

I read the whole thing in about a day because the girls just sucked me into their stories and I could not put it down!

No comments: